January 10, 2010

Mail

I'm one of those people who just cannot simply scratch something out on nice (or even not nice) stationery. It just ruins the whole aesthetic for me. You might as well just get a permanent marker and write a thank you note on a piece of newspaper from last week. No thank you. Being the kind of person that I am, I end up with a few more envelopes than I have cards (because the ones with mistakes inevitably get recycled). I've started addressing empty envelopes to Margot and putting them in with our mail. I also address empty envelopes to little friends in town and even overseas (Hi, Dan!). Something about getting mail, especially when you're under 13, is just plain exciting.

What I do:

When I use the last of the cards in any given set of stationery, I choose a wee friend to go along with each extra envelope.


We write their first name EXTRA LARGE on the front. Their last name should still be there along with the address, but they won't care as much about that as their first name. I skipped the addresses below just so all of you wouldn't take up stalking as a hobby. But I have addressed them to Margot (with our address) from Mama (our address again).

I made the generic one just for Margot to play with in our home. There have been occasions when she insisted on taking that piece of mail with her to the store.

Put a couple of old stamps (you know you still have some lying around somewhere) on the envelope.

Write in small letters on the back "Not to open, just for play". Of course that's a loose rule, but it just lets mom and dad know that there isn't a gift card or something lurking inside.

Post it!

3 comments:

Lisa January 10, 2010 at 3:03 PM  

We made the blog! Thanks for spelling Keylon's name right! :) Keylon LOVES to get mail.

Holly January 10, 2010 at 5:46 PM  

Dear dear Lisa, You were too quick to guess it was you! It's another Keylon and Rowan brother team. Just kidding. You'll probably receive it Tuesday.

LOVE! Thanks for reading :) I'll get out to see you soon!

Molly January 10, 2010 at 7:36 PM  

very cute. i can't tell you how many times i've had to retrieve my children's mail from the mailbox. not so much now that they're older and understand about stamps and such, but they used to put mail in the box all the time! my favorite one was my son's letter to pippi longstockings. he was probably four and totally in love with pippi. that letter is tucked away, nice and safe.

(and yes, i love pulling my children's teeth. it might be one of my favorite mommy privileges. my daughter and i have a system where she holds on to my wrist while i pull. if it hurts too bad or she starts to freak out, she can squeeze my wrist. she let me pull two teeth this week.)

Post a Comment

  © All images are property of Holly Fish; template by OurBlogTemplates 2009

Back to TOP